When it comes to performing well in sports, practice makes perfect. And this is usually the same regardless of whatever you want to succeed in – even jumping.
But one underrated factor that is often overlooked when it comes to your vertical jump, is what shoes are actually best designed and manufactured for the purpose of reaching your highest potential.
Having the best shoes for jumping higher may have a significant impact on your performance whether you play basketball, volleyball, or any other sport.
Please click here if you want to increase your vertical jump!
Here in this article, we will be looking into what we consider to be the top 5 best shoes for jumping and the qualities they have that set them apart from the rest. These reviews are based on our own honest opinions and experiences.
What makes a shoe a great shoe for jumping? Well Higher Vertical Jump analyzes the following criteria:
- Important for heel lock-in. The shoe must be stable, yet not restricting of the motion of your feet.
- Injury prevention. A stable shoe will allow a safe take-off and landing.
- Outer-sole Traction
- The traction pattern and material will be a key factor in your ability to complete your run-up with purpose, and transfer all your energy into the jump.
- The shoe should tightly hug your feet, yet not restricting enough that it is a disadvantage to your mobility.
Kyrie 5 – $175.00
The Kyrie 5s are a mid-priced basketball shoe designed for NBA all-star Kyrie Irving.
It is a tight-fitting shoe that is extremely stable. This shoe is meant for point guards or shooting guards that do a lot of quick foot work and acceleration when playing basketball.
These shoes are fairly priced for the amount good quality of material that is used.
- Extremely stable and hard material.
- The shoe has a tight fit style, but does not hurt your feet. If you are wide-footed, however, you may have an issue with this until you completely break it in.
- You can quickly and efficiently move around in these shoes. As it is made for quick point guards, it provides a lot of support to your feet and ankles.
- The upper material is a hard mesh that goes around your entire upper foot. This provides a good cushion while providing protection.
- The Kyrie 5s provide really good support for jumping and looks like it can prevent potential injury on landing based on the protection element.
Outer-sole Traction: Great
- The traction is extremely good on these shoes.
- The one bad thing about the Kyrie 5 traction, is that it does take some time to break in. Once that initial thing layer breaks in though, the traction becomes very sticky.
- This traction is extremely good for jumping (when you break them in) as it provides you with good stickiness to the floor. This will be very useful on your run up as well as energy transfer when you finally jump.
- The Kyrie 5s are not the most comfortable shoes out there, but they are still quite comfortable.
- Until you break these shoes in, it may feel a little bit stiff.
- Once the shoes are broken into, however, they become extremely comfortable.
- The insole is quite cushioned, and gives you enough mobility at the same time and is tight. This will be a good combination for jumping as it will allow you to jump at your peak potential but give you enough cushion on your landing.
Lebron 15 – $200.00
- The Lebron 15s are one of the most stable shoes in the market today.
- The upper material is completely made out of fly-knit and this gives you the ultimate experience of both comfort and tightness
- The width of the bottom also gives great support for your feet and ankles.
- When jumping, the Lebron 15s will provide probably the best stability in the market today.
Outer-sole Traction: Fair
- The only thing that is a bit disappointing about the Lebron 15 is the outer-sole traction.
- The traction pattern is a little bit interesting as it is a sharp diamond pattern
- Compared to many of the shoes out there in the market with excellent traction, the Lebron 15s just do not stand out. The traction is not terrible, but just not as good compared to other great shoes at about the same price point.
- The Lebron 15 traction is not as good as other shoes when it comes to the best shoes for jumping.
- As mentioned before, these shoes are completely made out of fly-knit material. This gives an amazing comfort to the top and sides of your feet.
- The insole is also extremely comfortable. It is sturdy but still gives your feet the cushioned feel.
- These shoes barely take any time to break in, and are likely the most comfortable shoes in the market today.
Jordan 29 – $200.00
- The Jordan 29 is made from a high quality, hard, knit material. This material provides great stability to your feet which decreases the risk of injury.
- They hug your feet well and provide your ankles will the support they need to be able to make hard and sudden movements.
- These will be great for jumping as it is very supportive when both running and jumping.
Outer-sole Traction: Great
- The outer-sole traction of the Jordan 29s are great.
- Although they are not the top of the line in traction, it is still better than 90% of the shoes that are in the market today.
- You will be able to make hard movements and quick cuts with these shoes effectively, especially on clean courts.
- The traction will be great for your run-up and give enough grip for your jump to have an effective energy transfer.
- Many super athletic NBA players have worn these shoes such as Jimmy Butler and Russell Westbrook
- These shoes are very comfortable as the insole is well-cushioned.
- The good thing about the Jordan line is that each shoe is made with high-quality material. This is why a lot of their shoes are quite expensive.
- The cushioning provides great mobility and a good soft landing. This is one of the best shoes for jumping for both basketball and volleyball.
Harden 3 – $150.00
- The Harden 3s are made of complete Primeknit material. This is similar to the Lebron 15 material, and has the same type of hugging feel to your feet.
- However, the stability is not exactly as excellent as the Lebron 15 as it does not completely tightly hug your feet. The Harden 3 has more of a puffy knit material, while the Lebron 15 has a thick flexible flyknit material.
- The stability is great though, and will provide great support when it comes to the best shoes for jumping.
Outer-sole Traction: Great
- The outer-sole traction of the Harden 3 has received a lot of praise from many reviewers.
- The outer-sole is not thick by any means, but is made of great quality and has a good traction pattern that provides you with a lot of grip to the floor.
- For jumping, the Harden 3 will give you great grip on the run-up as well as when you finally jump. They will have very little slippage especially on clean floors.
- The Harden 3s are extremely comfortable.
- The insole is made from Boost material, which kind of has a Styrofoam-type feel to them.
- They are very easy to break in and are made for hard running and stopping. This makes sense as James Harden is a shooting guard that made a lot of sudden movements during his games.
- The Boost material will provide great comfort and padding and makes the Harden 3 one of the best shoes for jumping.
Adidas Crazy Explosive – $200.00
- The Adidas Crazy Explosive has excellent stability.
- These shoes are made of a stable but stretchy Primeknit fabric.
- The shoes hug your feet very well, but at the same time give a lot of flexibility so that you are able to move effortlessly.
- When it comes to jumping, the Adidas Crazy Explosive gives extremely good stability to your feet while giving you the same high quality landing. The injury risk is very low.
Outer-sole Traction: Excellent
- The outer-sole traction of the Adidas Crazy Explosive is incredible. From the get-go, they are extremely sticky and it will be hard for you to find any type of traction like it.
- The material is a high quality rubber-type material and coupled with a simple but extremely effective traction pattern.
- The Adidas Crazy Explosives can be the best shoes for jumping based on just the traction alone.
- The run-up will be gripped well, and the jump will be very efficient.
- Not only are these shoes extremely stable and have awesome grip, they are super comfortable.
- The in-sole is made of Boost material, which are the same material used to make the Harden 3.
- The Adidas Crazy Explosives give an upper feel like the Lebron 15, but are made of much your flexible material especially when you break them in.
- The break in process will be relatively fast so you don’t have much to worry about.
So there you have it; the top 5 best shoes for jumping reviewed by Higher Vertical Jump.
Did you know that many volleyball players (even professionals) wear basketball shoes because of the stability, traction, and comfort?
We asked the players from the Markham Storm Womens’ volleyball team and all of them have confirmed that they wear basketball shoes rather than volleyball shoes.
These reviews are for both basketball and volleyball players. These shoes are some of the best shoes for jumping in our honest opinion and experiences.
If you have any questions or comments, please do not hesitate to contact us!